Friday, August 18, 2006

A trick question?

Here's a few more of examples of the defensive nature of some people you meet here on the east coast.

Hard(ware) times.

"How you doing?"
People ask me that all the time, often not listening to the answer, but friendly enough. So I thought I'd do the same at an aging hardware store in Acton, about 20 miles northwest of Boston. The place serviced garden equipment, mowers, ‘weed wackers’, chainsaws, and refilled propane bottles out back in a shed so rickety and full of holes that the wind or a heavy snowfall was more likely to flatten it than a propane explosion.
"How are you doing?" I said to the fit looking man who was tanned, 50-something, dressed in working boots, kaki shorts and a faded blue tee.
"What?"
"How ya doowin?" I asked again broadening my accent in a lame attempt at a 'Bawstn' drawl.
"That's a trick question," the gasman said, taking the container from me.
"No. No tricks here," I said. "I don't ask trick questions." He didn't look up or say a word as he went about filling my 20lb bottle, gauging how full they were by opening the release valve until liquid gas squirted out, hitting his bare leg and evaporating. Fumes filled the shed pushing me further back and re-enforcing his invisible 'no-go' zone.
He took a deep breath, handed me the bottle and oozed, "Mmmm. That's a full one."

Checking out.

"Phew, it's really warm outside," I offered in casual conversation.
"Must be nice to get out there?" the woman cashier in a red Hawaiian shirt replied as if it was my fault our roles were not reversed.
"Yeah, but a bit too hot to do much," I said in an attempt to convey it was better to be packing groceries in an air conditioned shop.
"I went for a bike ride this morning," she said squashing three bananas under a can of organic tomatoes.
"Really, that must've been great." I fiddled with my wallet, extracting an ATM card to pay and paused while I swiped my card. "So where's a good place to bike around here?"
She looked at me with eyes narrowed, as if considering an invitation for a date from the Boston Strangler.
"On bike paths," she said turning to serve the next customer.
"Oh. Thanks," I said and went outside to eat a banana.

I'd be interested to know what you find different from where you're from.

No comments: