Tuesday, October 23, 2007

How much is enough for us?

Should we measure the value we have in our lives by the amount about which we have to complain?

I’ve been thinking about this a great deal recently.

For example, at the regatta on Saturday, an articulate, and to all outward appearances, well-fed and adequately clothed black man clutching a bundle of newspapers approached the crowds lining the riverbanks.

“Ladies and gentleman. Ladies and gentleman. Can I have your attention for just a moment? Can you help the homeless today? Can you spare a dollar to purchase a newspaper from me to help the homeless?”

Of course, I bought the $1 newspaper, called Spare Change, as did five or six people from the all-Caucasian crowd around me. The seller went on his way smiling and calling out the same line to garner attention from the next pod of spectators.

Inside the thin paper were articles on the laws affecting homeless people, editorials and advertising copy. There was also a warning to check the seller wore a blue badge. As with most things, these days there are several scams as this report in the Globe from last year indicates.

I have to admit I did not look for an ID - not for a dollar purchase/donation. Perhaps that says something about the relative value of a dollar to me as the buyer and to the seller, whether homeless or not.

On the inside back cover, a list of organizations indicated that it was possible to obtain hot food three times a day, various food supplies and somewhere to stay overnight. I don’t know the quality or general availability of such hospitality and in truth hope never to have to test it out of need.

Food, shelter and an opportunity to earn a small wage appeared to hold a greater value to that individual than seems apparent for those given to complaining about their boss or the traffic conditions on the journey to work. Throw into that mix their angst over rising mortgage repayments, shrinking house values and the stock market volatility. Take a break from that as you sip an overpriced Starbucks' latte and ponder whether the Red Sox have the right (highly paid) players to win the World Series and the difference is glaring.

One of my former bosses, consoling me after he told me that I would not get a pay rise that year because of conditions in the industry, said that I should actually thank him.

“It’s a well known fact,” he said, “that people live 10% beyond their salaries. I just saved you money.”

Perhaps he was right.

No comments: