Saturday, May 17, 2008

Lacking in earnest.

Maybe changing our usual seats gave me a new perspective; one I did not like. Somehow being in row 'I' (rhymes with high) distanced me from the action, even allowed for a few minutes of guilt free shut eye.
The Importance of Being Earnest is a classic, but for me, the Lyric Stage Company production failed to deliver the punch lines with enough power, inflection and timing to do justice to Wildes words.
Algernon's character was just not large enough in terms of stage presence.
I waited with keen anticipation for Lady Bracknell's immortal line, "A handbag? A handbag?", and it seemed so did Bobbie Steinbach playing the part. The audience reaction said it all. Flat. As flat as the delivery.
Where was the explosion of indignation, the withering stare, the pause for audience reaction?
It was left to Ed Hoopman as Jack to save the day, projecting some of the plays best lines in his booming voice far into the blackness of the rafters.
Attending later performances in a run, polished with time, perhaps has spoiled me.
But, I'm still signing up for Lyric Stage Company season tickets next year.
How could I not? Its become one of my best of Boston traditions.

No comments: